Published by Akeem Pierre
Give thanks for the Fonio!
Give thanks for the arrival of Fonio in our shop! Inside that bag is a tiny gluten-free grain that packs huge nutritional benefits! Fonio is an Ancient grain that originates from West Africa and we source ours from Mali. Our Fonio is harvested in collaboration with women farmers in the village which directly benefits the local economy! Fonio caries with it a rich history in Africa as it was found buried in with princes and kings in ancient egypt and was also known as the seed of the universe!
I have loved fonio since I first tried it about a year ago! At first I was intrigued because it was a grain I found on Dr. Sebi's Electric Foods that I had never heard of before. Once I started to do further research I saw that it was very nutrient dense and provides us with many minerals and vitamins that help us thrive on the daily such as iron, zinc, b-vitamins and is a complete protein. It is great for diabetics and is one of the most nutritionally balanced grains on earth! Once I finally got my hands on some and made my first recipes with it I was sold. I couldn't believe how easy it was to cook. To this day I have still not messed it up once, it always seems to come out perfect!
Directions to prepare fonio so it can be added to the recipes of your choice
- Pour 1/4 cup (half of package) of Fonio Grain into a medium-sized pot.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of, water and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to medium-low heat and let simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes).
- Stir from time to time to prevent porridge from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
Porridge: My Favorite way to eat fonio is in a Porridge. When I start my day with Fonio it leaves me feeling nourished and energized for the whole day!
- Take your cooked Fonio and add it to a blender with a cup of plant based milk, 5 dates, 2 tablespoons of seamoss gel and spices of your choice. I like cloves, nutmeg, Coriander and Cinnamon. Blend until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and top with toppings of your choice. I like blueberries, Hemp Seeds and walnuts.
Fonio Stew: An easy way to enhance the nutritional profile of any stew while giving it an amazing texture! Fonio will absorb the juices of sauces you put it in and take on the flavours. You can add this to your favourite stew recipe or serve the stew on top!
Here are some ideas:
I hope you love your Fonio! Let me know what you decide to do with it and what you think of it!Thank you for all your support.
Sending you Love and Balance.